At In Step, we understand the pressure on you, as parents, is enormous. Our goal is to help you build parenting skills while you remain connected to your child, teenager, or young adult. We foster your resilience while helping you remain balanced and level-headed.
Some of the questions our parent coaching sessions help to resolve are:
- How can we create a more peaceful home environment at home?
- What do we do with a teenager who is refusing to go to school?
- How can we get more cooperation from the kids?
- How do we handle my young adult child who lives in my basement?
- How do we manage my child’s manipulative behavior?
- How can my partner and I get on the same page with our parenting?
For more information about our parenting support services or to schedule an initial appointment, please schedule a consultation or call 703-876-8480.
Our coaching sessions offer individual and group sessions with an In Step parenting expert team member. After a comprehensive initial evaluation session to determine goals and objectives, you will learn and practice new strategies that bolster your skills and your parenting self-esteem.
What can you expect from a Parenting IQ expert?
- An experienced, licensed therapist will review the information provided in the questionnaire before your meeting.
- You will spend 90 minutes together in discussion, talking about your concerns, and getting a specific plan in place.
- The initial meeting may be covered by accessing your out-of-network health insurance. This service’s code is 90791 if you would like to consult with your plan before you schedule.
Raise Your Parenting IQ Group
Research consistently highlights the success of parent groups in helping families make changes. Parents play a vital role in the social, emotional, and behavioral development of children. This Parenting IQ program offers:
- a weekly parent coaching group led by an experienced, licensed therapist
- easy to implement strategies, techniques, and methods that will help you gain confidence and support your child’s growth and development
- a safe place to share your issues and concerns
- worksheets and practice exercises to work on in between sessions
- Are you often frustrated with your child’s behavior?
- Do you feel at a loss as to how to discipline your child effectively?
- Are you frequently engaged in a power struggle with your child?
- Do you struggle to know which of your child’s misbehaviors to pay attention to and which to ignore?
- Do you frequently feel flummoxed about how to respond productively to your child when they are melting down?
- Do you question whether your child’s behavior is “normal?”
- Setting realistic expectations
- Responding in the here and now
- Collaborating and problem solving
- Knowing what is ignorable
- Giving clear directions
- Setting loving limits
- Mindful thinking
- EGNOG – helping your child solve their own problems
- Resilience building
- Managing meltdowns
- Communicating and connecting
To determine whether a Parenting IQ group is a good fit for you, the next step is to call and talk with us. An initial evaluation meeting will help us create cohesive groups that encourage growth amongst members.
How To Get Started
We strive to return your inquiry within 24 hours, if you do not speak with us directly. Our caring and knowledgeable administrative staff will work to get your initial evaluation scheduled and client portal activated prior to your first appointment. If you have a particular therapist in mind when you call, we will work to schedule you for a first appointment with your chosen therapist (if their schedule allows).
Before your first appointment, you will be contacted via email by our staff with directions on how to activate your client portal. Once completed, you will then be sent the required patient forms to be completed through your client portal.
Please provide us with any collaborative reports (i.e., psycho-educational testing reports, psychiatric reports, IEP reports, and/or educational reports). These will help us get to know you or your child more holistically.
The clinician who sees you for your appointment will be a therapist who is familiar with all aspects of therapy offered at In Step. Our clinicians are comfortable and familiar with treatment services for individuals, couples, and families, as well as the full range of group therapy services offered at the practice. Your therapist will answer any questions you may have about therapy and/or the services at In Step.
The initial evaluation session provides In Step with the information we need to formulate a thoughtful, clinically sound treatment plan and determine which of our services are the best fit for you and/or your family.
If you seek services for your child, you will bring your child to this first session so that the therapist can spend time with you and your child. During the first session, your clinician will gather information about your history, present concerns, and discuss therapy goals and expectations. Most initial evaluation sessions last between 60 and 90 minutes. Some clients may require additional assessment sessions to determine the best next steps.
In Step is committed to providing the best clinical care to all clients without the limitations imposed upon us by insurance companies (i.e., number, length, and modality of sessions required). For this reason, we are out-of-network and do not participate in any insurance plans. Many of our clients can get reimbursed from their insurance carriers for out-of-network benefits. We are happy to help our clients access their insurance benefits. We also do our best to work with families when they reach out to us with certain financial restrictions, but we recognize that our program is just not possible for everyone. In those cases, we make referrals and act as a resource for other programs available in the community.
If you are interested in being reimbursed by your insurance company, contact the customer service number on the back of your insurance card and ask the customer service representative about your out-of-network provider benefits. We will provide you with a monthly receipt that includes all of the necessary documentation you need to submit to your insurance carrier. If your employer provides you with a Health Savings Accounts (HSA) or Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), you are eligible to use these for mental health treatment as well.
Services may be covered in full or in part by your health insurance or employee benefit plan. Please check your coverage carefully by asking about the following procedure (CPT) codes: 90791 (initial evaluation); 90834 (individual therapy), 90853 (group therapy), and 90847 (family therapy)
Yes, all therapists are willing to fill out treatment plans as needed for clients at the practice.
Services may be covered in full or in part by your health insurance or employee benefit plan. Please check your coverage carefully by asking the following questions:
- Do I have mental health insurance benefits?
- What is my deductible, and has it been met?
- How many sessions per year does my health insurance cover?
- What is the coverage amount per therapy session?
- Is approval required from my primary care physician?
Parenting Support fees are determined by our clinicians’ credentials, level of training, and experience in the field. Our fees are commensurate with other mental health practitioners in the Washington, D.C., metro area.
Meet Your In Step Team
We publish helpful resources to support our clients. If you would like to stay informed when we publish new information, please provide your first name and email below. We will not share or sell your data.