We understand that looking into therapy options is a very important process and can be a daunting one. There are a number of factors to consider when finding the right fit for your family’s needs.
Your first step is to call us, email us, or schedule a no-obligation consultation. We will then discuss with you your concerns and answer any questions you might have about our services at In Step. Together we will decide if a first in-person appointment with one of our clinicians is the right next step for you. Our goal, before making this first appointment, is to insure you feel confident with your decision to move forward with us.
At this time, we do not have after-school, in-person, individual therapy openings. Please reach out for more information on available services or waitlists.
In Step, PC
8500 Executive Park Avenue, Suite 204,
Fairfax, VA 22031
Our office is conveniently located in Fairfax, just outside the Capital Beltway (I-495) near The Mosaic District. From the Beltway, take exit 50 (Route 50/Arlington Boulevard West) for about a half mile to the third light. At the light, go right onto Prosperity Avenue. Take the first right onto Executive Park Avenue. Our building is on the left. We are on the second floor in suite 204. There is plenty of free parking, and we are handicap accessible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Everyone who comes to us participates in an initial evaluation with a licensed clinician. This meeting is about an hour and a half and during it, the clinician is gathering information, finding out about what brings you to us, what behaviors are of concern, getting an understanding of goals you have for treatment and listening to what obstacles to well being might be in the way.
*In the case of a child, she/he would wait in the waiting area while the clinician talks to the parents and then they would wait, while the child takes his/her turn. At the end of the session, the clinician would make observations and some preliminary recommendations.
After the initial evaluation takes place, your information, or your child’s, is brought to a weekly clinical meeting with the director of the practice, Cathi Cohen, and other members of the clinical team. It is the result of this discussion that is communicated to you, and a concrete treatment plan is recommended. This initial evaluation is crucial to the placement of our clients with a clinician and for the formation of groups.
In Step is committed to providing the best clinical care to all clients without the limitations imposed upon us by insurance companies (i.e., number, length, and modality of sessions required). For this reason, we are out-of-network and do not participate in any insurance plans. Many of our clients can get reimbursed from their insurance carriers for out-of-network benefits. We are happy to help our clients access their insurance benefits. We also do our best to work with families when they reach out to us with certain financial restrictions, but we recognize that our program is just not possible for everyone. In those cases, we make referrals and act as a resource for other programs available in the community.
If you are interested in being reimbursed by your insurance company, contact the customer service number on the back of your insurance card and ask the customer service representative about your out-of-network provider benefits. We will provide you with a monthly receipt that includes all of the necessary documentation you need to submit to your insurance carrier. If your employer provides you with a Health Savings Accounts (HAS) or Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), you are eligible to use these for mental health treatment as well.
Services may be covered in full or in part by your health insurance or employee benefit plan. Please check your coverage carefully by asking about the following procedure (CPT) codes: 90791 (initial evaluation); 90834 (individual therapy), 90853 (group therapy), and 90847 (family therapy)
Yes, all therapists are willing to fill out treatment plans as needed for clients at the practice.
Services may be covered in full or in part by your health insurance or employee benefit plan. Please check your coverage carefully by asking the following questions:
- Do I have mental health insurance benefits?
- What is my deductible, and has it been met?
- How many sessions per year does my health insurance cover?
- What is the coverage amount per therapy session?
- Is approval required from my primary care physician?
All of our clients pay us at the time of service. In order to make the process of submission to insurance as easy as possible for them, we provide a monthly statement of charges and payments. This statement contains the dates of service, the procedural code, diagnosis code, amount paid, and In Step’s tax ID number. This information is all that the insurance company needs to process a claim.
Statements are emailed out at the beginning of each month for activity occurring in the month prior. Should you have any questions about your bill, please do not hesitate to contact us at 703-876-8480.
If you are coming in for your first intake appointment with your child, please print and fill out these forms:
- Client Information and Financial Agreement
- HIPAA – We only need the signed page. Please keep the notice for your own records.
- Child History – Please take the time to fill out this form thoroughly so your clinician can get up to speed quickly and best use your appointment time. If desired, each guardian may fill out his/her own copy to provide different perspectives.
- Authorization of Release – If you would like our clinicians to be able to speak with any other professionals who care for your child (e.g. school counselor, psychiatrist, pediatrician), please fill out this consent form.
- Group Participation – If you are interested in your child joining one of our groups, please review and complete this Group Agreement form. If you have any questions or are unsure, you may complete it at a later time.
- Credit Card Authorization – If you would like to have a credit card on file to save time at the reception window, please fill this out.
- Joint Custody – If there is a joint custody agreement in place for your child, please have all parties fill out and sign this form. The signatures do not have to be on a single sheet.
If you are an adult coming in for your first appointment or are otherwise directed to, please fill out this form in lieu of the Child History form:
We publish helpful resources to support our clients. If you would like to stay informed when we publish new information, please provide your first name and email below. We will not share or sell your data.